I used this free pattern sheet from Spotlight and the Spots and Stripes range they had in at the time.
After a bit of fudging around with the cutting, I was on my way.
I have since bought a proper rotary cutter and my Mum bought me a great mat which have made things soooo much simpler - definitely a worthwhile investment. I also had a borrow my mum's machine as mine is an older one with an angled arm for which you cannot get a 1/4 inch foot (dammit!!).
I used a sprinkle-esque spot for the backing fabric and the leftover spots n stripes for binding. A simple diagonal quilting was quick and easy.
Here 'tis, girly but not too girly.